Yoga Classes for Kids
What You Can Expect in Every Yoga for Kids Class
- A focus on breathing skills - to calm and center, balance emotional states, and promote autonomic nervous system regulation.
- Simple yoga poses - to build strength, balance, focus, and self-confidence. Also builds connections in the brain important for body awareness, emotional regulation, and problem-solving.
- Yoga games - to learn social skills and emotion-regulation tools, increase concentration, and promote mindfulness in playful ways.
- Stories and art - to help students integrate the five themes of Strength, Grounding, Stillness, Listening, and Community.
- Relaxation and mindfulness techniques - to demonstrate the importance of rest to allow the brain to integrate new learnings and manage stress, anxiety, anger, and fear.
Our weekly series resume Fall 2018! On our summer calendar, we have two summer camps for ages 8-13 and a Yoga & Art event for ages 11-14.
Please check our Facebook page for the most updated information and other offerings throughout the summer.
Instructor Experience and Training
Jenifer Trivelli has been teaching yoga to children since 2007. In 2009, she completed a master's degree in Counseling while working as an elementary school counselor. After moving to Salem, Jenifer taught yoga classes locally and completed YogaCalm's 100-hour Youth Instructor Certification Training. She is currently pursuing her adult certification & will be offering trauma-informed yoga for adults in summer 2018.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does my child need to be able to focus to attend class? No! In fact, classes are designed specifically to address attention challenges and build students' capacities for concentration.
Can I attend class with my child? At the end of each class series (typically 6-10 sessions), parents will have the opportunity to join class and learn from their student.
What if my child is unsure about starting yoga? It is normal for some children to be anxious about starting a new class. Parents of such children may attend the first class. It is extremely rare for a child not to enjoy yoga classes once they get their feet wet.
What ages can attend? There are different classes for different age brackets; generally grouped by school level (preschool, elementary, middle, high). Class formats are available for ages 3 through high school.
Where and when are classes offered? You can view current classes on our Facebook page. Classes may also be available as an after school program in your child's school or other location near you - please contact us to bring yoga to you!